Sunday, May 29, 2011

DIY Kitchen Window Treatment $17 + tax

As a designer I have samples and catalogues taking over my studio. My samples and art supplies are in fact the only clutter I have in my house! (OK, maybe my kitchen needs some de-cluttering of old dishes etc., and my closet could be half of what it is) but anyway the point is - I like to be unique. I can order any gorgeous treatment but it's just not me. I like to make my own things. I like being original and different - it's who I am. Because of this beautiful character trait indeed inside me, I came up with a few different materials and put them together to create my kitchen window treatment! I view my kitchen as two different spaces. There is a left side and a right side. The left side is almost complete. However, the right side has been giving me the most trouble. I cannot for the life of me dig deep enough into my imagination and come up with the perfect layout or vision of how the right side of my kitchen should look. So I suppose, over time, it will evolve. For now though, I am loving the concoction I came up with for the windows. I bought a 48 x 72" bamboo bind for $15 + tax and combined it with 2 iron plant hangers which cost $1.00 each! I mounted the hardware in the center of the window frame. Why? Because I love the natural light the window brings to the kitchen but I needed some sort of treatment for privacy and my electricity bill! Then I just attached the bamboo ends to the hooks in the curvilinear plant hangers and wah-la! I also cut the chord a bit and plan to jazz it up with decorative pulls (I will make those also!) So now that that part is done, coming up with what to dress the built in with and hang on the wall is the only problem left! 

BEFORE

AFTER(S)

No comments:

Post a Comment